The guerrillas rocked the spot during the Adams-Morgan day festival, turning the front portch of the Belmont House into a fourth"stage" with live music. The house hosted a garage sale, and with a series of arts booths lining one side of Belmont Street, a small army of folks rolled through over the course of the afternoon. Check out video of pieces by Shahid and Kristen, as well as a fabulous exchange with Josh, recorded and produced by video blogger Sini Vlaisavljevic.
We dropped a drumming set with poets rotating on the mic, amplifying with our mobile wireless system before bringing out the big daddy behemoth system later in the afternoon. We also came inside for a short meeting that included Kristen, Mo, Fadi, Jeff, Juliana, Damian, Shahid, Josh, Ken, and John. Read on for the notes….
- Jeff is launching a "Poetix" event entailing lyrical ambushes in Bethesda and is looking for poets.
- John's starting a poetry group at UMD in College Park. He envisions inviting poets from DC to come out and perform at events on campus, before ultimately bringing UMD poets out into the community
- Jaime and Lily are each organizing guerrilla theatre groups. Jaime is focused on raising awareness abot domestc violence and Lily's concentrating on gentrification. They're both looking for actors and people to hand out flyers during performances.
- Juliana is organizing a weekly radio spot with the Latino Media Collective on Wednesday ni.ghts on WPFW. Contact her if you're inclined to get on the radio.
- Juliana is also seeking housing space for a group of African anti-poverty activists visiting the U.S. Please contact her if you have any space available.
- We have a set at Camp Democracy this upcoming Monday night from 6:30 – 7:30. Contact Laurie for more details.
- Kristen's Young Women's Drumming Empowerment Project is starting a two week run at the DC Arts Center this upcoming weekend. Shows are on September 16, 17, 23 and 24.
- There's a global justice rally tying the World Bank to the closure of the Franklin Shelter for the homeless this Thursday. Contact Jeff for more information.
- On Saturday, 9/16, there are two GPI events happening in the community. The Peace Cafe will be at Busboys & Poets, and Earth Dance will run from 6pm to 3am at the Science Club.
- We're having a regular 3rd Monday lyrical ambush in DuPont on Monday, 9/18
- We have tentative a gig in Charlottesville, VA in October to support the new InfoShop there.
- We have a tentative gig at the Fall for the Book festiva l at George Mason University. Gustav should have more information.
- Folks spoke of wanting to see more poetry workshops.
- People hope to see more decentralized organizing for more folks pluging in as organizers.
- Folks inquired about the status of the banner.
- We discussed out status on the new sound system and the apparent tradeoff between getting a self-contained battery and price.